Friday, January 23, 2009

House Humor

After all the drama of moving in, we had company over Sunday evening. We visited for a while, then they got ready to leave and noticed that this house has an alarm system. Our friend explained that he knows how to reprogram the alarm system so we told him to go for it. It worked...sort of. He was able to arm the alarm system, then unable to disarm it. We opened the door and the siren roared. We pushed every button we knew to push. He called his computer savy friend to seek advice on how to disarm the system, then I had a bright idea of calling the previous homeowners to inquire about what the actual code was to see if that would disarm the system. We were not able to reach them, but we tried many things to make the siren stop. We turned off breakers in the house, tried to see if there was a way to detach it from the wall, etc. Our friend decided to go check in the attic to see if he could disconnect the alarm from there. We were downstairs when suddenly we heard a very loud noise. I screamed as our friend's foot came crashing through the ceiling. It was incredibly scary because I though he was going to fall, but his knee caught him and he was able to keep from falling through the ceiling and from knocking the kitchen light off. Here is a picture of the results....which we will be repairing this weekend.





As you can see, we are quite fortunate to still have lighting in the kitchen!

As for the alarm system, the previous homeowners called back and we used their code to disarm the system. It was certainly a relief when the siren stopped blaring loudly enough to wake everyone in the neighborhood!

Most of you would expect that this incident would have upset me terribly, but instead I had the opposite reaction. I laughed hysterically (after I made sure that our friend was okay). This is proof that there will be many many fun times had in our new house...just hopefully not as destructive the next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment